• Written Complaint and Appeal Procedures
    For Title I, Parts A, C, and D
    Or Section 100.2(ee) of Commissioner's Regulations
    Regarding Academic Intervention Services

    Procedures for Filing Complaints/Appeals with the Hinsdale Central School District concerning violations of ESEA Title I, Parts A, C, and D, or the General Education Provisions Act; or of Section 100.2 (ee) Academic Intervention Service of the Regulations of the Commissioner

    Who may submit a complaint?

    Any public or nonpublic school parent or teacher, other interested person, or agency may file a complaint.

    What must a complaint contain?

    All complaints must:

    · be written;

    · be signed by the person or agency representative filing the complaint;

    · specify the requirement of law or regulation being violated and the related issue, problem, and/or the concern;

    · contain information/evidence supporting the complaint; and

    · state the nature of the corrective action desired.

    What must an appeal from the District's response contain?

    An appeal must contain:

    · a copy of the original signed complaint;

    · a copy of the District's response to the original complaint or a statement that the District failed to respond in 30 business days.

    In New York City or the rest of the State outside of New York City, a copy of the District and the Department of Education's response to the original complaint or a statement that the Department of Education failed to respond within 30 business days; and a statement identifying those parts of the District's response which the party wishes to appeal.

    Where should a complaint/appeal to the Hinsdale Central School District be sent?

    Complaints/appeals regarding the District's administration and implementation of its ESEA Title I Grant or Academic Intervention Services for students identified under Commissioner's Regulations Part 100 should be sent first to the Hinsdale Central School Superintendent. The District has a 30 business day period in which to resolve a complaint.

    Title I complaints should be first sent to the Hinsdale Central School Superintendent. If the District fails to resolve the complaint within 30 business days, or fails to resolve the issue to the satisfaction of the complainant, the complaint should be sent to the Title I School and Community Services Office, Room 365 EBA, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, Albany, NY 12234.

    Procedures for Filing Complaints/Appeals with the New York State Education Department

    The State Education Department will review complaints when the complaint pertains to:

    · the State's administration of the ESEA Title I Basic Grant, Migrant Education, or Neglected or Delinquent Program;

    · an appeal from the decision of a District (LEA) regarding an action by the LEA.

    Complaints that do not meet any of the above criteria, including complaints concerning the District's administration of its Title I Program, will be referred for possible resolution to the District against whom the complaint is made.

    What timelines pertain to the State Education Department's review of complaints/appeals from a District (LEA) action?

    Within 60 business days of the receipt of the complaint/appeal, Department staff will complete an on-site review (if necessary) and/or records examination and will notify all parties of its findings. An extension of the 60-day complaint resolution period is permitted under CFR Part 299.11 (b), for exceptional circumstances.

    Where shall complaints or appeals to the State Education Department be sent?

    Complaints/appeals regarding Title I for the Hinsdale Central School district should be sent to:

    New York State Education Department
    Title I School & Community Services Office
    Room 365 EBA
    89 Washington Avenue
    Albany, NY 12234

    How long does a public or nonpublic teacher, parent, or agency have to file an appeal from a decision of a District (LEA)?

    An appeal must be requested and postmarked within 20 business days of receipt of the District's response to the original complaint.

    Who shall conduct the review of complaints or appeals?

    The Title I representative in the State Education Department office who is assigned as the program manager for the District against which the complaint is made and other Department staff as may be appropriate shall conduct the review of complaints or appeals.

    What shall the State Education Department's response to the complaint contain?

    The Department's response shall contain:

    · the names of persons interviewed;

    · the records or other evidence examined;

    · relevant dates/times/locations/events;

    · summary of findings; and

    · nature of corrective action to be taken including applicable timelines.

    How will State Education Department staff monitor the timely and appropriate implementation of the corrective actions called for in the complaint/appeal resolution?

    Failure of the District to take corrective action within the time period stipulated in the complaint resolution shall be cause to withhold all, or a portion of, the ESEA Title I allocation to the District.

    Does the State Education Department maintain a record of all complaints/appeals?

    Yes. Copies of correspondence, related documents, investigative reports, and summary reports involved in the complaint/appeal resolution will be maintained by the State Education Department for five years. Records will be made available to interested parties in accordance with the provisions of the New York State Freedom of Information Law (Public Officers Law Sections 84-89).

    What shall constitute exceptional circumstances for extending the 60-day limit for State Education Department review of complaints and appeals for relief from a District (LEA) action?

    The State Education Department has determined that exceptional circumstances may include, but need not be limited to, such occurrences as:

    · illness of involved parties;

    · cancellation of scheduled on-site reviews due to unscheduled school closings;

    · the need for extended review activities beyond those specified in the written notification; and/or

    · any other mutual agreement to changes in review scope or activity.

    When exceptional circumstances are identified, the revised date for the completion of the complaint review will be provided in writing to all parties involved in the complaint or appeal. All parties to the complaint have the right to initiate a request for an extension beyond the 60 business day complaint resolution period based on exceptional circumstances. All such requests must be presented to the State Education Department.

    Procedures for Adjudicating Appeals from the Decision of the State Education Department

    May a person/agency dissatisfied with the State Education Department's complaint resolution file an appeal?

    Yes, parties dissatisfied with the State Education Department's complaint resolution may file an appeal directly with the United States Department of Education at:

    United States Department of Education
    Compensatory Education Programs
    400 Maryland Avenue, S.W.
    Room 3W230, FOB #6
    Washington, D.C. 20202-6132