3rd Grade Overview
In grade three, students will build important reading, writing, speaking, and listening skills. They will think, talk, and write about what they read in a variety of articles, books, and other texts. In their writing, students will pay more attention to organizing information, developing ideas, and supporting these ideas with facts, details, and reasons.
Activities in these areas will include:
• Reading a wide range of stories and describing how a story teaches a lesson
• Describing characters in a story and how their actions contributed to events
• Reading texts about history, social studies, or science and answering questions about what they learned
• Referring to information from illustrations such as maps or pictures as well as the words in a text to support their answers
• Learning the rules of spoken and written English
• Learning and using new words, including words related to specific subjects (such as science words)
• Participating in class discussions by listening, asking questions, sharing ideas, and building on the ideas of others
• Giving a class presentation on a topic or telling a story using relevant facts and details and speaking clearly
• Writing stories with dialogue and descriptions of character’s actions, thoughts, and feelings
• Gathering information from books, articles, and online sources to build understanding of a topic
• Writing research or opinion papers over extended periods of time
If you would like more detailed information about the Common Core Standards, please feel free to visit the Engage NY website.